Location: London – 2 Office days per week
Contract: 12-month fixed Term Maternity Cover
Hours: Full time 35 hours
Salary: £64,253 – £75,591
The General Dental Council is the regulator for the UK’s dental professions and has public protection and public confidence in dentistry at the heart of everything it does.
This is an exciting leadership opportunity to join a high-performing and supportive Governance team to deliver high quality secretariat services and strategic advice to our Council, its Committees and Executive Leadership Team. This role is a 12-month fixed term contract (maternity cover).
The team is well-established and has strong processes in place and this role is a good opportunity for a governance professional to combine their strong technical skillset, with leadership, development, and line management of three Governance Managers.
The role reports into and will deputise for the Head of Governance who has responsibility for the overall function. This includes Board recruitment, Board effectiveness, Board development and administering the GDC’s corporate governance framework.
The GDC is committed to equality, diversity and inclusion and the hiring manager welcomes applications from those with strong transferable skills from other similar professional backgrounds, looking for a new challenge and a supportive working environment.
The Deputy Head of Governance postholder will:
- Lead on the design and implementation of the secretariat framework. Identifying, and working with colleagues to put in place improvements, year on year.
- Lead and manage the secretariat function for the GDC, line managing Governance Managers and playing an active role in their development.
- Ensure compliance with statutory requirements in relation to business undertaken.
- Ensure that there is an annual schedule of business, produced in collaboration with key colleagues which allows key decisions to take place and compliance with a number of legislative requirements.
- Advise Chairs on the Terms of Reference of GDC Committees and ensuring that decisions are taken appropriately.
- Be responsible for the running of all formal meetings, including ensuring that there is appropriate technological support, papers enable correct decisions to be taken, that attendees can contribute to the meeting, and accurate minutes and actions are recorded.
The successful candidate will have experience of:
- Leading a secretariat function or acting as a senior manager within such a function, including designing, implementing and maintaining efficient secretariat frameworks.
- Advising on governance matters to senior colleagues, include Chair level.
- Line management, including developing colleagues within their roles.
- Drafting briefing material, minutes and actions.
- Acting with integrity and discretion when handling confidential and sensitive information.
- Project management.
- Being committed to equality and diversity in service delivery.
To reward you for your hard work and commitment, we offer a flexible hybrid working environment, as well as an attractive benefits package that includes:
- Pension contributions up to 10%
- 25 days’ annual leave (plus bank holidays)
- 28 days holiday after 2 years of service
- Life assurance and income protection
- Staff discounts
How to apply:
For further details about the role and to apply please visit:
Please no agencies unless instructed otherwise.
Closing date: 31 January 2024 at 23:59
Please note that we reserve the right to bring this recruitment campaign to an end without notice, and we encourage all interested candidates to submit an application as soon as possible.
The GDC is committed to equality and diversity. We encourage and support the recruitment, retention, and career development of people from as wide a range as possible of ethnic, cultural and social backgrounds.