Department: Fitness to Practise
Salary: Band B £55,639 – £60,000
Hours: Full Time (35 hours per week)
Contract Type: Permanent
Location: Hybrid working with a minimum of one day a week in our offices in London.
This is an exciting opportunity to join an organisation passionate about protecting the public and upholding regulatory standards across healthcare.
Fitness to practise is one of HCPC’s core regulatory functions. We are dedicated individuals who genuinely care about delivering an exceptional service, investigating concerns quickly and fairly and producing high quality case outcomes. Providing agile, responsive and excellent customer service for internal and external stakeholders is central to what we do.
You will join us at an exciting time as we deliver a programme to embed sustainable improvements to the way we work, establish a learning and development culture, and cultivate a human centred approach to regulation. Our priority for 2023-24 is to deliver a new operating model for our fitness to practice process so that we are ready for regulatory reform. This means gathering all the required evidence, such as witness statements and expert reports, earlier in the investigation process.
We are recruiting for a Senior Fitness to Practise Lawyer to lead a new legal team within the department, with responsibility for delivering this new investigation model. You will have the resilience and vision to design and embed a new approach to fitness to practice and develop team purpose. You will be a strong leader with the ability to advise, guide and develop our people.
Your role will be to:
- To lead a team of fitness to practise lawyers, decision-makers and presenting officers, and provide coaching, guidance and advice to direct reports and other colleagues within the department.
- To provide legal advice, guidance and direction on case management, decision-making and presentation, ensuring cases progress in line with legislation, case law, policies, procedures and KPIs.
- To advise on or develop fitness to practise legislation and policy ensuring we maintain a fitness to practise approach that is in line with current case law, regulatory reform and other developments within the sector.
- Ensure the right regulatory outcome to protect the public is reached on cases efficiently, proportionately, consistently and fairly, working collaboratively with internal teams and external legal providers.
- Be a member of the FTP senior management team, actively contributing to the development of the department’s strategy and culture.
- Be a role model for the department’s commitment to embrace change and different ways of working.
You will be a visionary leader, have excellent communication skills, work strategically and collaboratively to deliver shared objectives, and have experience of leading successful teams and managing lawyers. You will have experience of practicing within professional regulation or other regulatory environments and hold a current practising certificate.
Closing Date: Friday 01 September 2023 (All vacancies will close at 1pm)
Interview Date: w/c 11 September
For further information or if you wish to apply for this role, please visit our website or click on this link:
The HCPC welcomes applicants from all sections of the community and we promote equality of opportunity, diversity and inclusion.