Manager: General Counsel
Flexible working: Yes
You will join the Gambling Commission’s in-house legal team and work with the Head of Legal and legal team members to deliver high quality legal advice across the Commission. You will advise and provide legal support on a wide range of matters and will deal with a varied and complex caseload. You will be able to work independently and take responsibility for the advice you give.
The legal team has overall responsibility for all of the Gambling Commission’s legal work, including a full range of in-house legal services and provision of advice to the Commission, its Committees, senior management and employees.
You will play a leading role in providing advice to the Commission on its powers, requiring creativity and innovation in advising on the options and finding available routes to help the Commission to be more effective. You will handle a complex and varied caseload which is likely to include the following:
- Gambling law
- Regulatory law
- Administrative and public law matters, including litigation, judicial review claims and appeals
- National Lottery
- Contract, procurement law
- Employment law
- Freedom of information and subject access requests, including advising on data protection and GDPR
You will have a complex and diverse regulatory caseload, consisting of enforcement and licensing cases, and will have experience in handling and preparing cases for Regulatory panels, tribunals and court hearings.
You will deliver at pace solution focused legal advice and have previous experience carrying out legal research and providing well-reasoned advice to clients on a variety of matters. You will attend key decision-making meetings in an advisory capacity.
The ideal candidate will be a team player who is pragmatic and able to assist in maintaining excellent working relationships with the Commission’s external solicitors and counsel and delivering value for money.
Key knowledge, skills and experience:
- Holds a practicing certificate as a solicitor or equivalent
- Experience in advising on regulatory and public law matters, including interpretation and exercise of powers
- Can confidently manage and handle a complex and varied caseload requiring advice to be provided across a wide range of topics, including in the following areas: gambling law, regulatory law, prosecutions, and FOI and DPA
- Ability to retain the appropriate professional detachment whilst working closely with the Commission’s teams and the Leadership Team
- Strong intellectual and analytical skills.
- Excellent communication skills and the personal qualities to support and motivate staff
- A track record of sound judgement and the authority to command the confidence of internal senior officials
- Experience in employment law, gambling law, prosecutions, contract law and/or information law
- The personal qualities and motivation to contribute to the leadership of the Commission, including contributing to the management of the Legal Team
For more information and how to apply please visit