About The Association
Combining the strengths of the American Institute of CPAs and the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants, we empower the world’s most highly-skilled accountants – CPAs and CGMA designation holders – with the knowledge, insight and foresight to meet today’s demands and tomorrow’s challenges. We drive a dynamic accounting profession that works every day to build trust, create opportunity and grow prosperity worldwide.
Summary of Role:
Providing legal and ethics policy support to the Professional Standards and Conduct team, in particular presenting complaints against CIMA members and students to hearings of the Disciplinary Committee and Appeal Committee, acting as principal point of contact for queries related to interpretation of the CIMA Code of Ethics and members’ ethical duties and as subject matter expert on CIMA’s ethics and responsible business policies.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities:
- Reviewing and advising on complaints received by CIMA, including in particular whether they meet the definition of “misconduct” within the Byelaws and on the evidence necessary to advance investigations.
- Drafting and reviewing allegations of misconduct for consideration by the Investigation Committee and Disciplinary Committee.
- Advising on and preparing bundles for hearings of the Investigation Committee, Disciplinary Committee and Appeals Committee and liaising with complainants, witnesses and members’ representatives as appropriate.
- Presenting cases to the Disciplinary Committee and Appeals Committee as instructed by the Senior Manager – Professional Conduct including the drafting of written submissions on behalf of the Institute and the preparation of evidence.
- Instruct solicitors and barristers on outsourced Investigation Committee, Disciplinary Committee and Appeal Committee cases.
- Deputising for the Senior Manager when required including representing the department on cross departmental groups and projects. (IN TOTAL: 50% of FTE)
- Developing and ensuring implementation of the Association/MAPU strategy for ethics and responsible business practice (including an appropriate internal and external communication strategy, as well as raising awareness of ethics activities and obligations across the Association) working with the VP Professional Standards & Conduct and other teams as required (10%)
- Contributing as appropriate to MAPU’s ethics collateral, including internal & external ethics communications (including e-newsletter articles, blogs and social media discussion threads and messaging: Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn posts) and presenting to audiences when required (15%).
- Maintaining, developing and promoting the CIMA Code of Ethics, including maintaining awareness of developments to IESBA Code (15%).
- Researching and preparing briefing notes, papers and reports as required to support ongoing departmental work and planning and input into related ethics/ corporate responsibility initiatives as required (10%)
- All other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
- Barrister or legal executive with at least 2 years PQE and knowledge of company law, criminal law, litigation processes and professional regulation
- Advocacy skills, including ability to present disciplinary cases in contested hearings
- Strong analytical skills, including an understanding of the law of evidence in England and Wales
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong communication skills and professional manner
- IT proficient
- Well organised and able to work to tight deadlines
- Able to work well in a team and independently
Required Experience, Qualifications & Education:
- Complaint handling
- Regulatory investigations
- Experience of working in a similar legal or regulatory environment desirable
- Policy work
Why Work for Us?
At The Association, you are part of a global, diverse and talented group of colleagues. You have opportunities to innovate and collaborate in a leading organization that impacts individuals and businesses. You’ll have opportunities to progress while enjoying an exciting work environment that supports and celebrates individual achievement, development and professional satisfaction.
Together, we will lead the most influential body of professional accountants and create the future of the global accounting profession.
We offer competitive benefits, PTO, flexible working principles, and a supportive, collaborative team environment.
For more information and to apply please click here.