This is a permanent role, but job share and part-time options may be considered.
You will work closely with our heads of legal, lawyers and our paralegal. The team also has a legal support officer.
As well as providing legal advice to the organisation and acting as a decision maker in the triage decision making groups, this role will involve undertaking advocacy for registration appeals and supervising the advocacy preparation undertaken by others in the team.
You will line manage our paralegal and lead the provision of advocacy for registration appeals. You will also have the opportunity to lead legal involvement in key strategic projects and their implementation.
£47,273 per year, increasing to 49,329 on successful completion of a 6-month probation period.
Our offices are in Sheffield. We offer a hybrid model of working subject to business needs, so a mix of office working and working from home.
What you will do
- Supervise and provide advocacy in hearings, following internal training on our regulatory context.
- Ensure that our decisions are legally robust by identifying legal risks early and working with other teams to ensure that those risks are managed appropriately.
- Review case outcomes and share learning and good practice with colleagues.
- Provide advice on internal policies, procedures and processes and ensure legal compliance.
- Take the lead with complex casework and policy development work, making effective, robust decisions and supporting colleagues to make such decisions with the benefit of your high quality legal advice.
- Develop strong relationships throughout the organisation, using your legal expertise and knowledge to provide solutions-focused support.
- Support the legal team to deliver its objectives (which are reflected in each lawyer’s objectives), including the design and delivery of training and promotion of legal awareness to the rest of the organisation.
- Participate in and provide strategic legal advice to project teams and working groups as necessary to further the work of the legal team and our objectives.
- Ensure effective stakeholder engagement with the senior leadership team, the executive leadership team and our external lawyers and contacts, as required.
- Line management and supervision of our paralegal with potential for managing additional direct reports in future.
- Deputise for the heads of legal, as appropriate.
Your skills and knowledge
- Experience as a solicitor, barrister or fellow of the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives, ideally with more than 3 years post-qualification experience.
- Strong legal analytical skills and judgement and experience of managing caseloads, with the ability to analyse complex issues and present legally sound and focused advice.
- The ability to work to tight deadlines, be calm under pressure and flexibly manage competing priorities.
- Excellent written communication skills, ability to draft clear and comprehensive correspondence and to present information on complex issues clearly and succinctly for a range of different audiences.
- Experience of providing advocacy, ideally in a regulatory or tribunal context.
- Experience of line management and/or supervision or a willingness to quickly develop these skills.
- The ability to work cross-organisationally, working well with others and responding positively, creatively and supportively to a variety of colleagues while maintaining high and consistent standards.
- A demonstrable commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion.
If you have any queries about the role or the appointment process, please contact email@example.com
How to apply
Interview date: 25 February 2022