The Taxation Disciplinary Board wishes to appoint a Lay Director to its Board, replacing a Board member whose term is coming to an end.
The Taxation Disciplinary Board (TDB) is an independent body established to handle complaints and disciplinary matters involving the members and students of the Chartered Institute of Taxation (CIOT) and the Association of Taxation Technicians (ATT). The CIOT and ATT have together over 30,000 members and students and are the leading professional bodies in the UK concerned solely with taxation.
The role involves:
- attending meetings of the Board (usually quarterly)
- contributing to the strategic direction of the Board and initiating proposals for new policies affecting the TDB
- ensuring that the TDB operates in an efficient and cost-effective manner
- considering and approving proposals and draft documents submitted by the TDB’s staff
- contributing to discussion of issues on which guidance is required by the TDB’s panels and the approval of such guidance
- consulting with the other Board Directors on key strategic or sensitive issues
- advising the TDB staff on policy or technical matters through emails and telephone consultation
- participating in the recruitment and selection of new panel members
- given the small size of the TDB, being prepared to take the initiative on a policy development area where appropriate and as agreed
Suitable candidates will need:
- awareness of professional regulation and the way on which professional bodies place obligations on their members with regard to professional regulation and discipline, together with a willingness to become more involved in the area
- familiarity with the role of professional advisers and ideally with tax advisers
- commitment to public protection, maintaining and improving professional standards in the public interest
- recognition of the need for the TDB to operate independently of the CIOT and ATT
- ability to operate at a strategic rather than operational level
Candidates’ background: candidates are not expected to have any knowledge of the tax system as other Directors cover this; instead, the TDB is seeking applications from individuals with any of legal, accounting, HR, operational or other backgrounds. The TDB is an Equal Opportunities employer and welcomes applications from a diverse field of candidates.
Commitment and Remuneration: the likely time commitment will be around a day a month, mostly spent at the incumbent’s home as most meetings take place via Microsoft Teams, though occasional meetings will be at the CIOT/ATT offices in London. Remuneration is at the rate of £550 per (7-hour) day; reasonable expenses will be reimbursed. Board members are appointed for an initial 3-year term, with one reappointment for a further 3-year term possible.
Interested applicants are welcome to email the Board’s Chair, Susan Humble (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any queries about the role.
Applications including a CV and a covering letter explaining how you think you are right for the role must be submitted electronically by 30th June 2023 to Interim Head of Operations, Sarah Gardiner email@example.com